Beginning June 1, 2020, all North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission Weigh-In, Special Use, and L15 permits will be valid and allowable activities can continue as described in the specific permit. However, it is expected that all local, state, or federal recommendations or orders with social distancing and mass gatherings will be followed.

Weigh-in & Special Use Permits

fish weigh in

N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission (NCWRC) issues fishing tournament weigh-in and special use permits for each NCWRC Boating Access Area (BAA) to ensure that only allowable activities occur and that multiple large events do not concur at any site thereby helping to manage congestion and user accessibility. These permits are issued at no fee, and mailed or emailed to the permit holder.

Permits are first come, first serve and will be issued when the requested boat numbers are less than 80% of a requested BAA's trailer space capacity. To guarantee that a BAA site is available, it is recommended to call early, up to a year prior to an event. For weigh-in permits authorizing fewer than 15 boats, the request period begins on November 1 and the authorizations remain valid until December 31 of the following year. These permits are issued as blanket authorizations and do not require an event date nor location. If you have several events within the same year, it is best to combine all the dates onto one permit when applying online.

All groups should be aware that these permits do not reserve a BAA and the site will remain available to others. Permits are issued with the following conditions:

  • The tournament or other special use must not interfere with the intended use of the area.
  • The permitted activity should not block the ramps or disrupt area use.
  • NCWRC promotes the "Pack it in, Pack it out" mission meaning that the permit recipient is required to remove all litter generated at the site by event participants.
  • The permit must be available on-site during the event for inspection by NCWRC Law Enforcement Officer.
  • NCWRC does not allow the selling of goods, materials or services at any BAA facility.


  Request your L15, W Tournament Weigh-in or Special Use Permit Online
  Look Up Your Permit Online

  If you have questions about permits, please call Land and Water Access Division at 919-707-0150.


When you request a permit, please be prepared to provide: 

  • an organization name
  • contact information (name, address, phone, email)
  • Boating Access Area (BAA) name
  • body of water
  • a date and time for the requested event
  • a number of boats (Weigh-in permits only)


Angler's Resources