Law Enforcement Officers with the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission enforce the boating laws and navigational rules in North Carolina's public waters to create a safe boating environment for everyone. Officers continually and proactively enforce laws and rules regarding authorized no-wake zones, as well as the reckless and negligent operation of any motorboat or vessel on these waters.
Please follow these guidelines to "wake responsibly":
Wake and Wake Boats
- Wake boats are high-tech, specialized boats with ballasts that fill with water to adjust for the size of wake desired.
- Wake boats can produce significant wake (3 - 4 feet) at low speeds (10 mph).
- In general, the boats are not the problem, but rather the wake produced by the vessels.
- While wake boats are designed to create significant wake, wake is not vessel specific.
- Wake is one of many factors that can cause erosion.
- Erosion, dock/boat property damage and noise are the primary complaints associated with the use of wake boats.
- Because the ballasts of wake boats fill with water, transfer of aquatic nuisance species could be an issue.
- Concerns about wake boats are a nationwide issue.